One day, when Matt Donovan is 107 years old, he will die a natural human death while fast asleep in his warm, safe bed, dreaming about rainbows, kittens, and sweet butterfly kisses. And his epitaph will read: Here Lies Matty Blue Eyes. Loving Brother and Son. Diligent Bus Boy. Mystic Falls Treasure. THE GREATEST FRIEND THERE EVER WAS.
For starters, remember how when everyone else was busy worrying about their love lives, attending Bitter Balls, playing “Whose mother is worse?” drinking games, and going on killing sprees with fellow sociopaths, Matt (Zach Roerig) was the ONLY one who noticed something was amiss with Elena Gilbert. So he investigated, and by evening’s end he reached a shocking conclusion: much like Gregor had taken his brain passage earlier in The Vampire Diaries Season 5, Katherine had jumped into Elena’s body and was pretending to be her.
Honestly even Nadia was surprised that he found out the truth so damn quickly. Because she’s as cold and manipulative as her survivalist daughter, she pegged him for a compellable idiot and severely underestimated his deduction skills and ability to know when someone was posing as his friend, whom he has known since birth! That said, because no one bothered giving Matt his due credit — not a sticker nor cash reward nor even some freaking health insurance, thank you very much — we have taken it upon us to honor the handsome lad for his utmost bravery in confronting Nadia and for basically not being an oblivious fool and having common sense. Check out 20 reasons why he’s the best friend a person could ever hope for in the list below!
1. He’ll listen to you rant about your life (even though his is far more tragic) and even give you a bro hug in the process.
2. He gives solid relationship advice.
3. He’ll wear a ridiculous-looking hat in honor of your birthday.
4. He doesn’t mind spending his entire afternoon playing video games with you.
5. He’s a natural-born mediator and always tries to keep the peace.
6. If you’re ever cold, he’ll give you his jacket. He’s selfless like that.
7. He’ll be there, right by your side, when you’re experiencing an existential crisis, and even throw you a fake funeral.
8. He gives the world’s greatest hugs. (“Bonnie you don’t have to pretend like it’s okay. Your dad died and you died. It’s not okay.” Excuse us. #Dying.)
9. He’ll kindly pour you a drink when you need one — and then do shots with you so you don’t feel like the biggest lush in the room.
10. He’s the kind of friend who also doubles as a personal trainer. He’ll whip you back into shape in no time!
11. Although this is a superficial reason, let’s face it, he’s really pretty to look at. #OperationBurnMattDonovansShirts.
12. He’ll literally sink to the bottom of a pool just to be able to talk your ghost self.
13. If you ever died, he would actually mourn your death. There would be actual tears flowing from his super blue eyes.
14. You’ll never have to worry about running out of condiments again. You fries will never be devoid of ketchup ever again, thanks to Matt.
15. He’ll endure the pain of dying and then coming back to life just so you can turn your humanity switch back on. Moreover, he’ll let you drink from his neck like it’s your personal chalice during church services, just so an uber hunter won’t suspect you’re a vampire and shoot you dead.
16. He’ll throw a keg party in your honor.
17. He’s not a drama queen. He can’t find his truck? No big deal.
18. He’ll come to your rescue when a bunch of evil witches try to kidnap you and your friends in the woods. He may be only human but he has the valiance of Buffy Freaking Summers.
19. But that smile though…
20. He’s there for you. Always.
What’s your favorite thing about Matt Donovan? Hit the comments and let us know!
Theo is a television enthusiast/digital editor at Alloy Entertainment. A conspiracy theorist at heart, this Greek gal is constantly on the look-out for horcruxes and is still trying to make sense of Lost Season 6. She’s Team Salvatore all the way. Follow her musings on entertainment at @theodorag13