With the Other Side quickly deteriorating, the Anchor about to perform a disappearing act, and the last two doppelgangers in huge danger, it seems appropriate to bring up “death” in all our TVD-related conversations. (Sorry to be morbid, folks, but it’s true.) However, that’s not to say that the topic at hand amuses us in any way. Ever since The CW released official spoilers and photos for the The Vampire Diaries Season 5 finale, which is poignantly titled “Home,” fans have been clamoring about the potential outcome of the show’s fifth installment. Their #1 burning question? The following: Will Damon or Stefan Salvatore die in the bitter end?
We don’t know about you, but the mere thought of a main character biting the dust simultaneously terrifies and thrills us. Talk about a shocking yet gutsy move! And, just for the record, we’re not being drama queens over here. With TVD Season 5 Episode 22 fast approaching, the show’s writers, cast members, and producers alike have been dropping tons of breadcrumb clues. They’re warning fang fans to brace themselves for an explosive conclusion to the series fifth installment and a handful of tear-inducing deaths as well.
Here’s what we do know so far:
- The official synopsis of “Home” definitely hints at an ultimate sacrifice on Damon’s behalf: “Damon (Ian Somerhalder) comes up with a dangerous plan that relies on split-second timing from Jeremy and Matt [...] Damon’s plan causes a massive explosion in Mystic Falls, and everyone is caught up in the confusion, leaving a trail of heroism, sacrifice, relief and despair.” Whenever his loved ones are in danger — especially Stefan (Paul Wesley) and Elena (Nina Dobrev) — Damon resorts to drastic measures to save them. His motto is basically ‘kill or be killed.’ We can almost-always expect some risky behavior from this courageous, blue-eyed bad boy! (To be clear, the above tidbit from the network’s synopsis doesn’t mention anything about him dying….but the tone is ominous enough to raise alarm.)
- During E! Online’s Watch With Kristen segment, Ian joked, “When Damon dies, it is the dopest scene.” And, after explaining that Elena will be involved in this scene, he added, “The ending, I think, is really gonna throw people. It definitely involves Damon in a very cool way. There is some very very cool stuff with Damon, Elena, Bonnie…stuff you just didn’t see…It is definitely a cliffhanger.” Okay there. So obviously, the actor was kidding around. Or, was it one of those “reverse psychology” situations in which he states the harsh truth in hopes that we’d assume no person could be that flippant about a beloved fictional character’s demise? Either way, it sounds like viewers will be thrown by the upcoming mayhem. #FreakingOutBigtime.
- Paul Wesley told TV Guide that the finale establishes new parameters for TVD Season 6: “They reset things in a way, and the writers have the ability to now change the circumstances and locations of where the show takes place.” What bigger way to reset the series, which is widely known for its sizzling love triangle, than to kill off one of the three leads? Yikes!
- Producer and writer Caroline Dries teased that Damon is strapping on his “hero hair” in the finale. While the combination of heroism and self-sacrifice don’t always result in death, they do raise concern. Plus, a permanent, non-reversible injury is a possibility and that bodes well for no one.
- Stefan Salvatore is not pictured in any of the photos for “Home.” The synopsis mentions that Damon is left heartbroken by an “unexpected tragedy” and that Liv says something about Stefan that upsets Caroline a great deal. It seems like he’s MIA from all the chaos erupting in Mystic Falls. Did Markos and the Travelers — or perhaps wonder twins Luke and Liv — murder the poor guy? Let’s hope not.
- With a heavy heart, Julie Plec dished out a lugubrious spoiler during a recent interview with TVLine. “There are going to be a lot of goodbyes as we realize the other side is disintegrating,” executive producer Julie Plec tells TVLine. “Not everybody is going to survive that. We’re going to have to say goodbye to some characters that we’ve grown to love over the years. That’s what we’ll see when we get to the finale.” OH MY SALVATORE. If that’s not enough to spiral you into a tizzy of saturnine speculations, we don’t know what is.
That said, what do you think will happen in 5×22? Vote for your top prediction in the poll below!
Considering how the residents of Mystic Falls find themselves in peril every Thursday, we’re going to take all these spoilers with a grain of salt. Hope might be for fickle fools, but we’re going to have to think positively in this case or else we’ll be grieving prematurely (and perhaps for no reason) until the finale airs!
The Vampire Diaries Season 5 finale airs Thursday, May 15 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on The CW. Tune in for the most intense supernatural event the network has seen!