The Vampire Diaries series has no qualms about killing off pivotal characters. Vicki Donovan (Kayla Ewell) was first to go, and then Anna (Malese Jow) John Gilbert (Dave Anders) and Jenna Sommers (Sara Canning) got the sharp end of the pointy stick as well. (Well, in Uncle John’s case, it was a binding spell to keep Elena alive.)
However, there’s one character who keeps viewers on their toes with his impressive number of deaths and resurrections. He dies, comes back, dies, come back…all thanks to a mere ring. And this character is none other than vampire slayers slash history teacher extraordinaire Alaric Saltzman.
Here’s a complete rundown of all those moments Ric was on his last breath…and then wasn’t:
- Season one: Remember when Damon and Alaric used to hate each others’ guts? Well, the real reason Alaric ever came to Mystic Falls was to seek vengeance against the vamp who killed his wife Isobel. And guess who that cruel vamp just happened to be? Damon Salvatore! Long story short, Alaric confronted Damon with “you killed my wife, you evil bastard” and Damon actually admitted it (“Damn straight I did. The bitch begged me to.”). Naturally though, being the devil that he is, after Damon recounted all the gory details, he casually plunged a stake into Alaric’s lungs. Vampire slayer gone…problem solved? Not! Hours later Alaric woke up very much alive thanks to his magical ring.
- Season two: The motto in Mystic Falls seems to be if the vampires don’t kill you, the werewolves will. In “Crying Wolf,” Alaric and Damon were attacked by ravenous werewolves after Damon antagonized a pack by ripping out Mason Lockwood’s beating heart. Whereas Damon was kept alive and tortured, Alaric was killed by Jule’s pack mate Stevie. Much to Stevie’s dismay, Alaric sprang back to life thanks again to the ring.
- Season three: Just when Alaric and Damon were experiencing the best bromance ever, Damon ruined it all by snapping Ric’s neck in a moment of sheer rage on episode 3.04, “Disturbing Behavior.” To be fair, Damon knew that Alaric was wearing his resurrection ring at the time but murder doesn’t seem like a great way to earn a friend’s trust. Thankfully, Ric evaded death once again due to the supernatural powers of his ring.
- *Update*: Alaric has died not once but TWICE more. Once, by getting run over Klaus’ hybrid henchman Tony. The second, by being attacked by the mysterious serial killer in town (on episode 3.13) and having Elena plunge a knife into his rock-hard abs in order to ensure that the “supernatural murders only” ring works!
- *Update*: Damn yo! This poor guy is running out of luck! Although we don’t know for sure yet if he’s even been shot, a gun was indeed aimed and fired at him. Do you think the bullet went through or was it a total miss on Meredith Fell’s part?! Well, as we found out on episode 3.17, “1912,” Dr. Fell is a great shot but just a spoonful of vampire blood keeps the Grim Reaper away.
- *Update*: He died again!!! On Vampire Diaries Season 3, Episode 19, “Heart of Darkness,” good ol’ Klaus decided to expedite the white oak dagger search by killing Alaric in an effort to bring forth his cray cray alter ego. Nothing like getting your neck snapped to start the day off! Welcome to a day in the life of Alaric Saltzman.
- *Update*: He died for good it seems. (Sorry. We can’t prevent these burning tears from falling.) In The Vampire Diaries Season 3, Episode 22, after wreaking havoc as a badass, crazy hunter (and bloodsucker), Ric bid the world adieu in his BFF Damon’s arms. Seeing as his link to the mortal world — Elena Gilbert — drowned beneath Wickery Bridge, Ric’s time was up. However, he returned later that night — as a ghost — to say goodbye to Jeremy, and later — in “Memorial” to sorrowfully tell his grieving pal Damon that he misses him. [Insert sad face.]
At this point (manydeaths later), Alaric Saltzman might as well just change his name to Chloe King or Catman because he’s on his way to cornering the “nine lives” market. Poor guy—just like Caroline, he’s always a target and his deaths just seem to grow more painful!
Is Alaric running out of chances on The Vampire Diaries? Tell us in the comments and/or vote below!